There are plenty of taxis around Canggu. Catching taxis in Canggu can be a daunting task, however there are few main things to remember that will ease the process for you.
- Try to only catch the light blue taxi’s with a bird image on them know as the Blue Bird Group. They are generally the most reliable (and comfortable) and are known for not trying to haggle prices (please note – there are even fake Blue Bird Taxi’s, real bue birds have their website printed across the side).
- Before you get into the taxi, check that they are going to use their metre. If they say no, or want to barter a price, it is generally because they are trying to get more money, just say no thank you (tidak terimakasih) and move onto the next taxi.
- Always have small change ready, some taxi drivers may say that they don’t have any change (which is often true) meaning that if you don’t want to over pay, you’re better off having the exact amount on you.
- Should you need to catch a taxi to or from the airport, the driver will generally want you to pay a set price. This is because of airport taxes as well as the price of the trip. Check before you leave with where you are staying vs what people have paid online. To give you a general idea, the airport to Seminyak costs around 200k (Kuta less, Canggu more).
- Finally, there are some other options if the above still seems daunting to you. Go Car (under the GoJek brand) is basically the Indonesian version of Uber. You book the car from your phone and they come to you. This is certainly a better option if you are going a longer distance as the travel is tracked through your phone. There is also a BlueBird App that allows you to order a Blue Bird Taxi online.